Saturday, November 8, 2008

ext2 ifs linux driver for windows.

2008 // NOV // 8TH. ------------------------------ I had a buggy usb hard drive formatted for windows fat32/windows and ( used linux vfat for mounting). The old usb hardrive sucked and crashed alot when using linux, but worked ok when using a windowsxp computer. Yesterday night 2008/nov/7TH i reformatted the usb-drive to ext2/linux. This made the drive much more stable so far. I also had to update my linux fstab file options so i can mount the drive properly. ############################## # ext2/linux This is a lot faster than vfat/windows. # ext2/linux is a lot more stable than vfat/windows. # This is for my usb harddrive. /dev/sda2 /mnt/usb-sda2-ext2 ext2 async,noauto,owner,users,noexec,noatime,nodiratime 0 0 # this if for my usb thumb drive # thumb drives are foramated in fat16/windows # thumb drives are foramated in fat32/windows # vfat/windows. /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb-sda1-vfat vfat noauto,owner,user,exec 0 0 # end of snippet sample. ############################

dmesg.

For linux . dmesg would always gave me messages that my vfat usb-harddrive was timing out and crahing on me. but after reformatting the usb-hardrive to ext2 the drive stoped timing out and crashing. Now the drive works great on my linux computer but now i have to make it work on my windowsxp computer.

ext2 file system driver for windows.

for windows . I downloaded the ext2ifs kernel driver and installed it on my windows/xp computer. so far every thing works ok on both computers. my linux computer works good naturaly with the ext2 file system on the usb-hradrive.and the windows/xp computer is working good to.

nothing to fear but the unknown.

I should of done this a year ago when i bought the usb-harddrive encloser but i was worried that their would be unknown complications but so far i can't think of any. Complications i have a read only setting from windows, only linux can write to the drive. don't select the read only install option when installing if you want to write to the drive. I selected every option and thats how i got stuck. LINKS. The Home page for the ext2ifs driver. http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html

No comments: