Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Linux debian lenny and a working 046d:08af Logitech QuickCam chat WEBCAM (Easy/Cool )

first plug it in and check " lsusb "
my quickcam chat (id) is suported my video4linux
Search debian for the gspca driver for the chipset.
now open a terminal and type "uname -r" to find your kernel module. mine is " uname -r 2.6.26-2-686 " ( so i have to install the " gspca-modules-2.6.26-2-686 ") video4linux should allso be installed. use apt-get.......... and modeprobe the gspca module OR reboot. and your web cam should work
------------------------------ " lsmod " should show : gspca 639568 0 videodev 27520 1 gspca v4l1_compat 12260 1 videodev ------------------------------
you can test your web cam with programs like chease and xawtv. Skype vide o works for me. but some programs like black box bsetbg and other wallpaper aps can screwe up skype2 video. black box bsetbg will not let skype2 display video. so don't use bsetbg to set your wallpaper. I logged out of my icewm desktop and log back in and video chat worked for me. CHeeSe come defualt with debian lenny. but cheese only records WEBCAM video as ogg theora. i'm not a fan of "ogm" oggmux, So I don't use CHeeSE so try using ffmpeg to record video. ffmpeg can record video to avi or mpeg formats, thats why i like VLC video land client can stream the webcam video as well. have fun with your $20 Logitech QuickCam chat web cam. I got mine from Walmart for $20. it works good for cif video 352x288 30fps on my slow pc. good enough for skype2 and chat.

No comments: