Wednesday, January 21, 2009

2009 is not the year of the LINUX desktop... why?

2009 is not the year of the LINUX desktop... why? why not? I use Linux every day and I'm a desktop user. I like Linux it's free and the security is great. I don't have to worry about spy ware or viruses when I'm using Linux. ( I have 2009 debian testing/lenny on my desktop and i like it.) there are a lot of free open source apps that i like, free is the right price for me. (my win pc past) I convinced my self a FEW years ago to try LINUX via KNOPPIX live CD. i didn't like win98 and i didn't have the money to upgrade at the time to upgrade to windows XP-pro. i didn't have the money for anti-virus software and cd/dvd burner software, and the rest. at the time the list of free software was not that good and the bundled oem software i got with my bought hardware products were second rate. I read about Linux while i was on line. i was using dial up at the time i did not have a fast enough connection to download a linux CD distro then. So i went to a bookstore retailer and bought a couple of computers books that came with their own KNOPPIX live cd. I read the books and learned a little more about linux first before i put in the Knoppix cd in and booted my computer. (learn before you try it.) Using the books and the Internet to learn a little about Linux was key for me. and google is still key for me. Before i used linux i googled win98 alot to set up my win98 pc. when started using Linux Knoppix i googled. When i started using win XP-pro i google. When i started using damn-small-linux i google and used forums. When i tried Ubuntu linux i googled. Now i'm now using 2009 debian testing/lenny and i google. ( http://www.google.com/linux ) In short if you want to use linux do your research first. *lrn2linux by reading TECH books and magazines.... *explore the internet use forums and search engines... *and do some research always... don't depend on the magic of glossy gui's and cry when you have to use the terminal. I was intimidated buy the terminal at first but now i love it. ( the default apps may not always be to your liking.) I usual install smaller faster apps. sometime they have to be built from source I like :: " Opera more than firefox, Firefox more than epiphany-browser." " xfilewriter more than gedit, gedit more than abiword, abiword more that open office. " The biggest most robust app is not always the right tool for the job. ------------------------------------------ Why is 2009 not the year of the Linux desktop? (FUD) .............. I am believer in Linux but it's not for every one. people who love to butt-rape their ipods and iphones with crappy apps from the apple iTUNES store will never be convinced to embrace linux. If you own a lot of junky peripheral gadgets and toys keeping a dedicated windows pc around is a good idea if your not into dual booting. you don't need a monster gaming computer for peripherals. I'm not a gamer. I still use windows xp-pro for my printer and peripheral gadgets. I use linux for the internet and my personal media, music and videos. (" personally i have high hopes for 2009") I like LINUX as a desktop, i think 2009 will be another good year for experienced linux users... but i don't think newbs and journalist will get it. (" me to ") I really think that most tech journalists are to dumb to use linux. so they are prone to write bad reviews that scare off newbs. I base this on the (me to) articles they write up. most of what they write reads as ( F.U.D.) When ever they come across a snafu they gripe on not ????beingable to figure out a solution on their own, so they call in friend who has some experienced with linux to give them a hand, " problem solved?" and the ( F.U.D) is the impressed onto the newbs that linux is just to difficult to use. (" if i can google so can you.") But tech????? journalist are to damn dumb. If your not f*retard you could learn to google and find solutions on their own and fix most of the small SNAFU's that come up initially. ------------------------------------ In clossing don't fear linux it's not that hard.

No comments: